Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sturgeon (Sorry for Leaving)

Hello,

 First of all, I apologize for my long absence. Between two job transitions, graduating college and focusing on some longer form works, I've truly neglected this blog and, by doing so, those loyal few who actually read it. I promise that I will try and do better in the coming months, and at least conclude the tale that I set out to tell nearly a year ago, "The Tale of Loring Manor."

 My current major work outside of Loring Manor is a screenplay, as you may expect, about a New England town. This is a small, coastal town; a fishing town called Sturgeon, where, as in so many other small towns across America, a greedy few control everything through manipulation and corruption. I love the story deeply, and I even truly hate a few of the characters, particularly a union thug named Gary, the ice cold son-of-a-bitch who betrays the most righteous man in the whole film. I won't include an excerpt of the script on here - yet. All I can give you now is this, a short description of the screenplay that I intend to use for marketing purposes. I am about 85% of the way done with the writing process, so hopefully I will share a little more of it with you soon.

 "In the small fishing town of Sturgeon, Massachusetts, Patrick “Mack” McLaughlin and his best friend, Jacob “Cobb” Riley are a couple of young muscle guys for the local drug and labor racket run by the old dockworker union and their political affiliates. Along with their mentor, Senior Headbreaker and Hitman-in-Chief Alan “Soup” Suprin, they bust jaws, break fingers and bash kneecaps all up and down the Merrimack Valley to “regulate” competition. For a salary significantly better than that of a construction worker or longshoreman, this is their version of a career. After a transport of coke and heroin gets jacked from a truck that was technically under the crew’s protection, the three of them face tough choices in the face of nostalgia, loyalty, and the strong, relentless current of a violent way of life that churns the conscience the way the Merrimack churns the Atlantic at the river’s turbulent mouth."

 I hope that that excites your imagination for now. I apologize again for the disappearance, and I promise that the concluding parts to Loring Manor will be posted in the near future, one after another after another (yes, there are three more).